- Type: Inhaled steroids, Corticosteroid
- Dosage Forms: oral inhalation aerosol, metered-dose nasal spray suspension, metered-dose nasal spray solution
- Dosage Strengths: oral inhalation aerosol: 40, 80mcg/actuation; metered-dose suspension: 42mcg/actuation; metered-dose solution: 80mcg/actuation
- Routes of Administration: inhalation, intranasal spray
- Common Trade Names: Qvar, Qvar RediHaler, Beconase AQ, QNASL
- Asthma: 40 to 320 mcg by oral inhalation BID
- Rhinitis: 2 sprays (80 mcg/spray) in each nostril once daily
- Asthma, 6-11 yo: 40-80 mcg by oral inhalation BID
- Rhinitis, 4-11 yo: 1 spray (40 mcg/spray) in each nostril once daily
- Pregnancy Rating: C
- Lactation risk: Infant risk minimal
- Renal dosing: no adjustment
- Hepatic dosing: no adjustment
- Allergy to class/drug
- Not to be used as primary treatment for acute asthma exacerbation
- Secondary hypocortisolism
- Cataract, glaucoma
- Half-life: 0.3-3h
- Metabolism: Hepatic via CYP3A4
- Excretion: Mostly fecal
Mechanism of Action
- Corticosteroid, reduces inflammation
- ACOG Committee on Practice Bulletins-Obstetrics, "ACOG Practice Bulletin: Clinical Management Guidelines for Obstetrician-Gynecologists Number 90, February 2008: Asthma in Pregnancy," Obstet Gynecol, 2008, 111(2 Pt 1):457-64. [PubMed 18238988]
- Bakhireva LN, Jones KL, Schatz M, et al, “Asthma Medication Use in Pregnancy and Fetal Growth,” J Allergy Clin Immunol, 2005, 116(3):503-9. [PubMed 16159616]
- Fanta CH. Acute exacerbations of asthma in adults: Home and office management. Post TW, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc. http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed February 7, 2019.
- Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA). GINA report, Global Strategy for Asthma Management and Prevention. http://www.ginasthma.org. Updated 2018. Accessed October 23, 2018.
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: 2014 Report. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease website. Published 2014.
- Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: 2018 Report. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease website. http://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/GOLD-2018-v6.0-FINAL-revised-20-Nov_WMS.pdf. Published 2018. Accessed January 12, 2018.
- Goedert JJ, Vitale F, Lauria C, et al, “Risk Factors for Classical Kaposi's Sarcoma,” J Natl Cancer Inst, 2002, 94(22):1712-8. [PubMed 12441327]
- Lougheed MD, Lemière C, Dell SD, et al, “Canadian Thoracic Society Asthma Management Continuum - 2010 Consensus Summary for Children Six Years of Age and Over, and Adults,” Can Respir J, 2010, 17(1):15-24. [PubMed 20186367]